Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 09-12-16 22:16:
David E. Ross wrote:

It would be definitely wrong -- a major deviation from the commitment
to adhere to standards -- for any Mozilla-based application to
render 0x004A as anything other than J.

In an HTML page (or an HTML email), if the sender specifies the font Wingdings and sends the character "J," SeaMonkey should do as it's told and display the Wingdings glyph for that character point. That wouldn't be a violation, would it?

The problem would arise, as I see it, if the recipient has set SM to ignore the sender's font specification and use the recipient's preferred font. For example, if you send me such a message and I've forced Arial, I'll get a "J," and I'll have no one to blame but myself.

The OP might look under Edit | Preferences | Appearance | Fonts and see whether "Allow documents to use other fonts" is checked. If not, his own preferences will override those of the sender.

I have this option "Allow documents to use other fonts"set - so SM must display the "J" in the windings font.