Jim wrote:
I got up this morning and found that my search engine has been switched
to "duckduckgo".

No matter what I switched to for search in preferences, duckduckgo came
up as a search engine.

I went to the screen under search engine precedence, and moved
duckduckgo down to last.  It still came up as my search engine.

Finally, I deleted it from the list of available search engines under
preferences and that got rid of it (for that user profile in SM).

Reading up on this subject, it appears I may have updated or installed
something, and didn't see a box checked to make duckduckgo my default
search engine (my bad).  But there isn't a good explanation how to get
rid of it completely (says to uninstall the app but doesn't give a good
idea what that app is).

I notice my other SM profiles still come up with duckduckgo as search
engine.  Any ideas (besides deleting that as an available search engine
in each profile)?

Running SM 2.46, W10, adblock plus, noscripts, and Norton Security Suite.

If I change the search engine in the search bar on my toolbar, SeaMonkey uses that search engine with search terms in the address bar and with selecting something on a page, and searching for that.