On 3/11/17 10:25 PM, Desiree wrote:
On 3/11/2017 11:17 AM, Lee wrote:
On 3/11/17, Desiree <melel...@medscape.com> wrote:
On 3/9/2017 2:44 AM, Simon Charles wrote:
Hi

I would love to try SeaMonkey, but I can't download it!

I am a long-term Mozilla user trying to download it from
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases - using Firefox on Windows 7.
Frustratingly, I just get the following 'insecure connection' warning
(with no obvious option for circumventing it):

-----------------------------------
Your connection is not secure
The owner of download.cdn.mozilla.net has configured their website
improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has
not connected to this website.
This site uses HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) to specify that
Firefox may only connect to it securely. As a result, it is not possible
to add an exception for this certificate.
Learn more...
[BUTTON] Go back  [BUTTON] Open Login Page
[BUTTON]Advanced
-----------------------------------

    <.. snip ..>

How did you get a secure page when that site is NOT https?  In the
address bar just remove the "s" from "https" and you will be fine.

Most probably he will be fine but still, telling someone to 'just
remove the "s" from "https" and you will be fine' when downloading
software is unbelievably bad advice.  Earlier in the thread he was
given a couple https: sites where he could download seamonkey, so it's
not like http is the only option.

I can easily get the same error you got if I stick an "s" on the end of
"http" .  Here's why:

   <.. snip ..>

As you can see, the SeaMonkey site is NOT on the above list and that's
because it doesn't use "https" rather "http".  Plus, on Fx 45.8 ESR, I
can add an exception.  Even for the Mozilla sites listed above none are
Strict Transport and they better never be as that is just puffed up
nonsense.

wrong

 HTTPS where an exception can be added is sufficient but
SeaMonkey is not even using that.  SeaMonkey retains COMMON SENSE
because the entire web does NOT need to be behind HTTPS

but it would be better if the entire web was behind HTTPS

and especially
NOT behind HSTS which means I can't go to sites that have HSTS certs and have them issued by Comodo or Go Daddy as I have my browsers set to warn
me about any site using a cert from either of those "authorities" and
then I decide if I want to make an exception or just not visit the site.

take a look at the certpatrol add-on

  HSTS doesn't let one make exceptions and that just further cripples
the user who wishes to reserve their own judgement about sites using
certs from certain so called authorities.  HSTS is just another way of
limiting the user

Imagine using the tor browser for surfing the web.  Does HSTS make
sense then?  How about https?
If yes, then why do you trust your ISP & whatever service provider is
between you & the download site?

and Mozilla has been going down that path for years
now with each Fx version being more and more rigid and restrictive
(might as well just merge with Chrome browser).  SeaMonkey is not doing
this to its users so it is symbolically fitting that it uses simple
"http" for its site.

I suspect it's a money/people resource problem that keeps them from
using encryption rather than a deliberate choice not to use
encryption.

Regards,
Lee

So, what do we do about content distributors? That's the source of the problem. Mozilla's download site is on Akamai and the cert is for Akamai which makes sense but Fx thinks it should be for Mozilla so Fx gets its panties in wad. I could see this on Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x64) and on Opera 12.18. The absurdity is that Fx says I should notify Mozilla that their cert is wrong! No, I should use a browser that treats me with respect like the old Opera or Pale Moon both of which ask me what to do rather than assuming i am a complete blithering nitwit idiot regarding computers and internet safety. Fx used to ask and the fact that it no longer does is further indication that Mozilla wants to get rid of its intelligent users (which it needs to do in order to merge with Chrome browser which has no intelligent users and treats anyone with some intelligence with disdain).

I had no problem downloading from that link using Firefox 52.0 or 53.0b1 on Windows 10.

What am I doing wrong? I never have problems.

Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS