On 7/18/2017 8:29 AM, DoctorBill wrote:
> Every once in a while, my SeaMonkey changes.
> Today the mail went from "Classical View" to "Wide View" (Layout).
> Several days ago, my Tabs lost the active tab white - which I had a
> thread about here.
>
> I did not change them !
>
> Do some Web Sites do that ?
> If so how can I stop this nefarious messing with my system ?
>
> This is MOST ANNOYING !
>
> DoctorBill

Random changes can be caused by a failing disc drive or (much less
likely) a failing memory.  Other causes can be malware or conflicting
extensions.

I suggest you try the following sequence.

1.  Run your anti-virus application to do a complete scan of your system
(memory and disc).  If malware is indeed found, delete it.

2.  Run SeaMonkey in Safe Mode for an extended period.  If the problem
does not occur, run SeaMonkey in normal mode for an extended period but
with half of your extensions disabled.
a.  If the problem does not occur, enable half of the disabled
extensions.  Repeat until the problem occurs, at which point you can
isolate which extensions contribute to the problem.  You will then have
to desable or remove at least one of the offenders.
b.  If the problem occurs in Safe Mode, it is NOT caused by any
extension conflict.

3.  Open the Properties window for your hard drive.  Select the Tools
tab.  Select the Check Now button.  Check both checkboxes.  Select the
Start button.  This will likely require you to reboot Windows.  If you
purge the events in the Windows Event Viewer, you will easily see if
there were any disc errors detected.  The Event Viewer is reached via
[Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer]; under Windows
Logs, open each file of logs, right-click, and select Clear Log.  After
the disc is scanned, repeat going to the Event Viewer; I think the
results should appear in the Application log.

4.  Go to <http://www.memtest86.com/> and get the Memtest tool to test
your PC's memory.  This will require creating a self-loading CD or flash
stick and also require changing your boot setup.  To reach your boot
setup menu, you must press function key F2 while doing a cold or warm
boot.  Remember to record on paper what changes you make to your setup
so that you can later undo them.  Run the tool through at least one full
cycle.

--
David Ross

<http://www.rossde.com/>
President Trump now denies there are any tapes that
recorded his conversations with ex-FBI Director Comey.
Between when Trump hinted there might be such tapes
and his denial, there was sufficient time to destroy
any tapes.