On 22/08/2017 13:17, null wrote:

> There seems to be a kind of war going on between the proponents of Adobe
> Flash, something open source called Webm, and the HTML5 player.

Flash is on the way out (December 2020).
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/07/25/adobe-retires-flash-in-december-2020/

Webm is a video format using only free audio/video codecs
(On2 VP8&VP9, Vorbis, Opus)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebM

HTML5 is a family of technologies, one of which is the video element.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video

In particular, you'll want to read carefully
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5_video#Free_formats

The problem is patents, and companies owning these
patents. Specifically H.264 and MPEG-LA.
(Although Cisco did provide a royalty-free H.264
decoder, if I am not mistaken...)
https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/10/30/video-interoperability-on-the-web-gets-a-boost-from-ciscos-h-264-codec/

AV1 will set us all free!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOMedia_Video_1
Alliance for Open Media Video 1

> Increasingly videos from this or that source will not play in either SM
> or FF.
>
> For instance, recent videos posted to Youtube increasingly will not play
> in SM 2.46.

Please provide an URL (or several) of such videos.
I'm willing to bet that they work on most SM setups.

Regards.