Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:

If you want to be on the safe side probably delete all extensions
before upgrading and deinstall 1.18.

I would probably install 2.10 and then 2.35 also. This section of
the release notes is carried forward with every release and who know
when it was last tested... :)

If no email I would start with a fresh profile and import the
bookmarks only.

In any case backup the profile as suggested.

IIRC, there was a point at which the mailbox format changed, so restoring mail in the old format to a later version expecting the new format might cause problems. Back then, we were advised to back up (always a good idea) and then install the new version over the old one, which incorporated a conversion step.

Confirm/correct?

Paul B. Gallagher