mozilla-lists.mbou...@spamgourmet.com wrote:
sean nathan wrote:
Welcome to February fellow Seamonkey devotees! I have performed a fresh install of SM 2.49.1 today after a distro upgrade to PeppermintOS linux 8 respin 2.

All of my imap accounts worked flawlessly as I created each account. I have generally stuck to pop3 access in the past, but I am finding out via imap that e'mail that I thought I had deleted long ago, by downloading to my machines, still resides on the e'mail servers.

Wondering if I am missing some checkbox which deletes the email from the servers? I have always assumed the act of downloading my e'mail removes the copy from cox.net, gmail & outlook... all of my yahoo accounts work that way.

IMAP synchronises emails on the PC with the server. Downloaded emails stay on the server. If you delete an email from the PC, it also gets deleted from the server. If you delete on the server, it will be deleted from the PC next time it syncs.

POP3 downloads email from the server to the PC. Whether it is left on the server having done so is optional. See the settings at Edit > Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings > (select your account) > Server Settings, in particular "Leave messages on server", "For at most...days" and "Until I delete them".

GMail is different (as always...) When using POP3, the server ignores the client's instructions as to whether to delete the email. Instead you have to log in to <https://mail.google.com/> and go to GMail's settings. On the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab is a setting "When messages are accessed with POP" with options "keep Gmail's copy in the Inbox", "mark Gmail's copy as read", "archive Gmail's copy" or "delete Gmail's copy".

Therein lies my dilemma, I never delete non-spam e'mail, but I do move it from the inbox to my decades of archived mail in the local folders. It resides on my machine permanently as an interactive diary of sorts...

Only Yahoo seems to be properly configured to allow mail removed from "Inbox" to be deleted.

Gmail moves copies into three separate imap folders... and I have to go to Cox cable & Outlook webmail to delete previously moved e'mail manually...

Oh well, just have to go hit the delete button once a month I guess...

sean
--
first signed on with Netscape 3.0 Gold back in 1996