Yes to both, so we shall see. No obvious category for the email component, so categorized under General.

Craig

Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote:
If you can reproduce it file a bug. Might be in shared mail / news code with Thunderbird so if you run this too try there also.

FRG

cmcadams wrote:
jamielansf...@gmail.com wrote:
I typically bcc myself and so I see replies and messages I have sent. Lately, SeaMonkey seems to be inserting random punctuation or graphics, sometimes where I had entered spaces.  For example, I typed this correctly, but this is what appeared in the copy I sent to myself:

No.?? They went up to $100 per, effective -- I believe -- January 1.??

Another example:

?????? I am sorry that when I wrote the email the other day about the cost of PHV, I did not realize that the PHV fee had been doubled, I suppose effective as of January 1.?? I still think the money is worth spending rather than having issues at deposition or later for not having gotten admitted.

Any ideas what to do about this would be largely appreciated.  It's getting embarrassing.

Thank you.

Bingo! I was getting this last night sending quotes from a story on the BBC website in an HTML email. In my case single quotes "'" and double quotes '"' and hyphens "-" were also being converted to multiple question marks in both the Yahoo and Gmail web browsers.

I reverted to SM 2.49.1 to see if the problem was solely with 2.49.2, but it wasn't. The problem also occurred when sending from 2.49.1.

My best thought was that BBC was intentionally using nonstandard 'lookalike' characters, to make copying more difficult, with characters from non-English character sets that the online browsers couldn't deal with.

For inquiring minds:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170303-eight-words-that-changed-the-way-we-think