DoctorBill wrote:

Wow !  Thank you for those explanations !  You spent quite a bit of effort !

Brevity is... (next to impossible :-)

You know 100x more than I do !
My biggest question is - how do you know when a script is running ?

It takes a measure of trial-and-error.

If you click on the NoScript icon in the status bar at the bottom of the screen, the pop-up menu shows a number of options, including which scripting hosts are active, and which ones are blocked. From there, you can choose to toggle the status of scripts, permanently or temporarily, and for individual hosts, or en masse.

In my own use, I leave most blocked, and manually enable individuals, as needed, although for sites that I visit frequently, I may permanently allow some that I know that are essential to getting to content. Conversely, I've permanently designated a handful that are related to advertising and usage tracking, including Facebook and Twitter (I don't use either one of them) and Google Analytics.

My FoxNews.com web site will work fine and when I get on the "Comments"
part (a lot of fun !) - often it slows nearly to a stop !
I am presuming a script is running and taking over by transmitting some
garbage or trying to invade my computer.....(?)
SO - I don't KNOW what is slowing the works down and I bail out and start
over.
Is there some way to find out - akin to starting something like the Task Manager?
How can I know which "script" is running while it is messing with me ?

Looking at the FoxNews site, the initial scripting hosts offered are fncstatic.com, and it looks like both are necessary to get thumbnails of photos and videos to display. From there, if you go back to the NoScript icon, after fncstatic is displayed, then there's a fairly long list of other scripting hosts available. At that point, you can either go the route of granting access to all those, or you can play with things, enabling or disabling, one at a time. I notice that if you do "temporarily allow all", a subsequent check of NoScript offers several more scripting hosts.

To me, that's annoying, but that's the way that web pages are designed (especially ones with lots of scripting), where some scripts don't even try to run until other scripts have run. Thus, for sites like that, sometimes it can take several repeated attempts to grant permissions before you find the host that delivers what you want. This is especially true with media sites that use scripting (and various scripting hosts) for a lot of things, including delivery of basic content (i.e., text), animated content, audio and video, ad delivery, usage tracking, user authentication (e.g., logins), and more.

Unfortunately, other than with trial and error, it's sometimes difficult to tell which scripting hosts are used to get to content that you want, and which are tracking and ad networks.

Although I tend to go the route of "least permission", where I grant rights one at a time, for this particular site, it might be worth going the other way of enabling everything, and then sequentially blocking access to one or two sites at a time, then seeing if you can still get to what you want.

Smith