On 3/20/2018 at 10:22 AM, TCW created this epitome of digital genius:
On 3/20/2018 9:10 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
On 3/20/2018 at 9:55 AM, TCW created this epitome of digital genius:
On 3/20/2018 8:36 AM, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
If I use SeaMonkey (2.49.2 which seems to be the latest version) for a while and visit different sites and open and close windows and such, eventually it gets to the point where it slows down to the point of almost hanging and I need to close a bunch of windows (which takes ages since SeaMonkey is running so slow) before SeaMonkey will start being usable again. In some cases I have to force-close SeaMonkey completly because its totally hung and simply wont respond to my inputs.

I have noticed that using Google Maps and panning around is a great way to make this hanging/freezing/etc happen faster.

The last time it totally hung Task Manager told me there was almost no free physical memory (I have a total of 8GB) and that SeaMonkey was using a very large amount of RAM. I also noticed that when I attached to SM with a debugger, it was hanging somewhere in the windows memory allocation code (i.e. that was what was on top of the call stack) with some mozglue memory allocation code the next thing after the windows code.

Is this kind of hanging/freezing/slowdown a known thing? Is there a bugzilla bug (or bugs) that cover this issue? Is there anything that can be done to mitigate or work around the issue? Could one of my plugins (I use Addblock, ChatZilla, DOM Inspector, Geolocater, JavaScript Debugger and User Agent Switcher as extentions plus Acrobat, NVIDIA 3D, Silverlight, Window Live Photos and Flash as plugins) be the cause of the problems?

Yes, I have seen this as well. I am using a build of SM 2.53 and I've seen it happen browsing regular sites. It seems to be either a memory leak or the browser not releasing memory though garbage collection / cycle collection. I would not hold out hope for a fix since there are not many people working on SM at the moment.

I'm not seeing this at all.  SM 2.49.2 Win 10 Pro 64-bit.

I suspect an add-on or combination of add-ons.  I suggest trying Safe Mode to see if that is it.

I thought it was an add-on as well. Frank-Reiner had me switch to uBlock as I too thought ABP was culprit. Nope. I can 100% repro it when browsing on Momondo and AirBNB for a short period of time (15-30 minutes) on my home or office PC. I'm on Win 7 x64 but I doubt it makes any difference.

Have you tried Safe Mode?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/