EE wrote:
Ant wrote:
I have these currently installed in my SeaMonkey v2.49.2 web browsers:
* ColorfulTabs 31.1.9 (http://www.addongenie.com/colorfultabs)
* DOM Inspector 2.0.16.1-signed (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/inspector/)
* Open With 6.8.6 (https://github.com/darktrojan/openwith)
* PrefBar 7.1.1 (http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/)
* uBlock Origin 1.13.8 (https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock)

Is it because developers moved onto the new Gecko engine? :( Thank you in advnace. :)

I have not seen any updates in themes or extensions for over a year. The ones I have still work, however (I did have to add a certain file to my themes to get the mail compose window to work).

I've seen a few updates, by developers that are keeping their work going as long as Firefox 52.x ESR is still viable.

I have found that in the first couple of months after FF 57 was released, there were a few developers doing updates to both WebEx and XUL versions, particularly NoScript. I checked, and there's regular WebEx updates to NoScript, and it's now been several months since there's been an XUL update.

For PrefBar (and I've been enthusiastic about that one for years), if you go to the developer's page, it's explicit that that one is dead, and there will be no further updates. The page does indicate that many of the functions (but not all) are replicated in various other WebEx extensions.

One of the things I did at the time of Firefox 56 is that I installed copies of both 56 as well as the beta of 57 (in separate install folders, and separate profiles). On 56, I installed all the extensions I follow, both for Firefox and for Seamonkey, so that I could see how they behave in transition from 56 to 57. And in the beta (which I continue to keep active, now running 60.0 b4) I've been using that for testing, to see what WebEx offerings will do what I want.

With the 56 to 57 transition, I found that there were a handful of developers that allowed for automatic transition for XUL to WebEx versions. For other extensions, I found either new projects, or work-alike, and I've found that I can get WebEx to do most of what I want, although there's still a couple of things where I'm still evaluating options. Thus, although Seamonkey is still some ways away from the transition to WebEx, I'm mostly comfortable with the options. The hard part, of course is going to be waiting until Seamonkey makes that transition.

For what it's worth, I'm doing the same kind of testing with Thunderbird, with a beta of 60.0. A check of Thunderbird documentation indicates that Thunderbird is not yet moving to WebEx -- and although TB 60 will still be XUL based, existing extensions must have tweaking for explicit support of TB 60. Thus, if the extension hasn't been tweaked, it will not run in TB 60. From my testing, I follow about 20 TB extensions, and in my beta installation, about 3/4 of those extensions are disabled because the current versions aren't (yet) updated for 60.

I'm not yet sure what the consequences of this development will be for Seamonkey.

I should note that do follow the meeting notes for the Seamonkey developers (latest agenda at https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/StatusMeetings/2018-04-22), and it's a useful insight to see where things stand with development progress. I know that there is some interaction with the Thunderbird development group (beyond use of Thunderbird code for Seamonkey's mail client), including possible coordination between the two projects in shifting away from reliance on Mozilla infrastructure for hosting, and there's a bit of interaction there, as well, regarding coordinating of add-ons structure.

Smith