Daniel wrote:
WaltS48 wrote on 19/08/2018 1:21 AM:
On 8/18/18 5:43 AM, Daniel wrote:
Paul B. Gallagher wrote on 18/08/2018 5:30 AM:
Ray_Net wrote:

This is my idea also .... replacing double-backslash by single-backslash could destroy the pref.js file ...

This is what I have in my pref.js file:
user_pref("browser.download.dir", "C:\\ADDON\\ADDED\\Mozilla-Suite\\SeaMonkey\\2.0.2");
user_pref("browser.download.lastDir", "C:\\ALLDATA\\RandoEvasion\\INSCRITS");

If you don't trust it, don't do a global search and replace. Try it with the one pref you're interested in and see what happens. If that fixes the problem, you can go back and apply the fix throughout the file.

To Mark's question: the backslashes are single in about:config.

 From what we've seen so far, the download failed for some reason, that's why the OP can't find the file (it's not there). My chief suspect at this point is the double backslashes -- if SM tries to save the file to a nonexistent directory or an invalid path, it will fail. But then it should throw an error to alert the user, even if the setting is "don't ask."

I have no expertise in Linux; my remarks refer only to the Windows installation.

As suggested by others, I looked in about:config and, sure enough, while looking in prefs.js,I got double slashes, when I looked in about:config, I got ...

browser.download.lastDir;    user set    String C:\Users\Daniel\Downloads

Single slashes ... just doesn't work for downloading SeaMonkey from the SeaMonkey-Project download page. Other downloads, things work fine!!

Tried a new profile? Not shared. ;-)

No, Walt. Not yet!! ;-(

;-( does not work :-( does

Karl's version of Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to exceed the time alloted it.