On 3/22/2019 5:37 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
On 3/22/19 4:53 AM, Ant wrote:
On 3/21/2019 5:13 AM, Gabriel wrote:
Ant wrote on 17/03/2019 00:29:
On 3/16/2019 12:27 PM, BERTRAND Joël wrote:
Ant via support-seamonkey a écrit :
On 3/15/2019 8:54 AM, j...@comcast.com wrote:
This morning, in less than 3 hours of running, Seamonkey had taken over 2.5 gig of memory and was climbing.  About 8 tabs were open -- including 4
for the application FACEBOOK.

It had frozen and was past the point of graceful shutdown though i might have been able to do that with about 30 minutes work.  (I have before)

Is there a way to make it use less memory?  If so, what would it be?

No. Facebook, LinkedIn, etc. are the big memory and CPU hoggers in my SeaMonkey usages especially with multiple tabs. I always have to exit and relaunch SM to regain them after using these web sites. :(

     Maybe. But I see that Facebook or Linkedin eat less memory when I open them on Firefox or Chromium...

SeaMonkey v2.49.4 (basically Firefox v52) is still using old Gecko engine compared to the (new/lat)est Firefox web browsers that use Quantum. :(

Hi, I'm using both Firefox and SeaMonkey (and Safari) and I see a lot of differences in speed and hangs. Firefox does not hang even with a lot of tabs (and many Facebook pages and groups in different tabs, YouTube videos and other huge websites), while I have SM blocked many times a day.
And this is on iMac 5K with 24GB of RAM!

One main difference I see on macOS between Firefox and SM is that FF splits the load in several processes (they were 4, now 8 with FF 66) while SM is just one big application.
Eg. now I have:
- SeaMonkey 3,58 GB
- Firefox 825 MB
- FirefoxCP WebExtensions 362 MB
- FirefoxCP Web Content 485 MB
- FirefoxCP Web Content 425 MB
- FirefoxCP Web Content 206 MB

Why this is not applied to SM?
http://www.erahm.org/2019/03/13/doubling-the-number-of-content-processes-in-firefox/

PS: SeaMnokey is also using more CPU than Firefox, even when it's in background!

Like I said in my last post, the current stable SeaMonkey v2.49.4 is still using old Gecko engine (Firefox v52) compared to the (new/lat)est Firefox web browsers that use Quantum.  :(

Quantum isn't an engine. It's just a branding like Ford Focus, Google Chrome. Firefox Quantum.

What's the correct saying then? Newer Gecko engine version?
--
"You know what you are Earl? You're a little, tiny, busy ant. You too, Mike. Both you guys, with your mortgages and your term life insurance and your webber kettles(??). Ant. Ant. All of you, you're all a bunch of little, busy, blind ants. All you all. Saving up for your rainy days. Scratching up your acorns for the winter. You look at me and you think, "What a piece of pathetic trash out there in that leaky trailer." No spoon, no fork, no prospects. But, you know why? Cause I'm a grasshopper. Ant. Grasshopper. Ant. Grasshopper. Ant. Grasshopper. Ant. Grasshopper. Ant!" --Chris in the bar, before being thrown out in "Jaws of Life"." Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
   /\___/\                     http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.ma.cx /
 | |o   o| |   Axe ANT from its address if shown & e-mailing privately.
    \ _ /       Please kindly use Ant nickname & URL/link if crediting.
     ( )