Hello NFN Smith,
Thanks for your suggestion.
Not sure I know how to do it.
Please explain a little more.

> You can also hard-code that into your prefs.js file (via about:config),
> by setting general.useragent.override.google.com to show a true Firefox
> UA.  I had forgotten that I've done this on my own installation.  I
> currently have:
>
>     Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101
> Firefox/60.0
>
> With this, only Google sees me showing Firefox without Seamonkey, and
> the display in Google's search bar turns up correctly. I've just updated
> my settings to show Firefox 68 (e.g., 68esr), rather than 60.

Thanks in advance.

NFN Smith wrote:
Mike C wrote:
Google search is messed up in SM browser.

Normally the cursor sits in the center of the Google window for me to enter a search request.

Now it's sitting up at the top of the window, over the top line of the box.

And if more than 18 letters some letters disappear.

That's been around for some time -- it's definitely an annoyance, but not a true problem.

For some reason, Google seems to not like the standard User Agent string that shows "Seamonkey" in the name.

Mine is currently:

   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.5

I've found that with UA spoofing, if I remove the reference to SeaMonkey, then the display issue with Google goes away.

Personally, I use the PrefBar extension to allow me to change my UA string when I want it, although it's now hard to find that extension.

You can also hard-code that into your prefs.js file (via about:config), by setting general.useragent.override.google.com to show a true Firefox UA.  I had forgotten that I've done this on my own installation.  I currently have:

   Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0

With this, only Google sees me showing Firefox without Seamonkey, and the display in Google's search bar turns up correctly. I've just updated my settings to show Firefox 68 (e.g., 68esr), rather than 60.

You can also specify spoofing globally by making your setting in general.useragent.override (rather than specifically for google.com), although I don't recommend that, as global spoofing will also turn up in your email.  Although most people don't track the User-Agent header in email, Seamonkey does put that info there, and if you're spoofing, it does look odd to see email from a user that purports to be sending with Firefox as an email client.

Smith

https://www.avg.com