[Seamonkey 2.49.5 on Windows 10 (up to date)]

I've used Seamonkey for many years, mainly for the Mail client. Love it. For
the past couple of months I've had problems when starting Mail (using v2.49.2)
where it would crash almost immediately after opening. It would, however,
instantiate the Mail window for a second or so, and sometimes if I clicked into
a folder in one of my mail accounts in that initial second it would just work
normally. Usually took me 4-6 startup attempts to get it to stay running. Once
running it was mostly solid for until I rebooted or exited Mail. Nothing else
was affected. I could run Browser, Address Book, Composer just fine all the
time.

Yesterday I realized that Seamonkey was no longer auto-updating so I updated
manually to 2.49.5 (latest). With this version the crashes still happen but are
now immediate after launching it (either directly via the -mail flag or by
clicking the envelope icon in Browser). It doesn't launch the window at all now
so my trick above is useless.

I tried all the usual troubleshooting steps:

 - Start with a new profile. With a new profile it will run Mail one time, but
on the next launch it goes back to crashing. This is regardless of whether I
set up a mail account or not.
 - Clean install, by doing full uninstall and removing the
C:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Seamonkey\Profiles\<profilename> folder
entirely. Same as above.
 - Run Windows in safe mode. Same result.
 - Revert back to 2.49.2. Same result.
 - Disable hardware acceleration. Same.
 - Disable my antivirus software. Same.

Bear in mind that at this point I have zero mail accounts set up and am totally
default on all Seamonkey settings, with nothing added or changed. The only way
I can get it to work now is by starting Seamonkey in safe mode. When I do that
it works fine. But obviously this is not ideal, especially since it won't save
any UI changes between sessions (reordering columns, expanding e-mail account
trees, etc.). I have configured my mail accounts while in Seamonkey safe mode
and things work great between starts as long as I use safe mode every time. It
is just the lack of control on the above that I don't like. I suppose I could
just always run it in safe mode and get used to the lack of ability to change
things, but I'm bothered by the whole situation.

Since I did a full uninstall/reinstall and did not add any themes or add-ons I
know those are not the issue. So what else is it about safe mode that could
allow mail to start when all of the other things are ruled out?

Thanks!