Daniel wrote:
Frank-Rainer Grahl wrote on 8/05/2020 8:18 PM:

<Snip>

Basically only the browser works right in 2.57. Various problems with the other components. Usually use it only when I encounter a web site broken in 2.53 to check, when I find some time for a few 2.57 fixes or test 2.53 to 2.57 ports.

FRG

Frank-Rainer, If you don't mind, what is the sequence used when producing newer versions??

In my little bit I knowledge, I would have thought one version was basically an improvement on the previous version, e.g.

1.   Version ! of a program is produced and distributed.
2.   Users of Version 1 find some problems with that version.
3.   Version 2 includes some corrections (but code basically the same) and released.
4.   Users of Version 2 find some problems
5.   Version 3 includes some corrections (but code basically the same) and released.

etc, etc, etc.

Basically, once a version is "Out the door", all work on it ceases and full resources are dedicated to production of the Newer, Improved version. Well, O.K., maybe if there is a complete change of coding there might be "Spill" version of the already "Out the door", 'current' version, but nothing big!

It's not unusual to maintain one version while working on the next. e.g. while implementation of major improvements or new features are in progress for version 2, some critical issue (security vulnerability, data corruption, or whatever) may be found in version 1. So a version 1.1 is released to fix that issue, rather than leaving users with the bug until version 2 is ready.

As FRG mentioned, it does pretty much work as you suggest for the maintenance of one version (1 -> corrections -> 1.1 -> corrections -> 1.2 -> etc.). But in parallel with that, work needs to progress on version 2, otherwise you'll never get those new features or improvements.

SeaMonkey has the added complication that it's based on the same backend as Firefox and Thunderbird, but with a different UI (and perhaps some other things). SeaMonkey 2.49 was based on Firefox 52, SeaMonkey 2.53 on Firefox 60 (I thought 56, but release notes imply 60). So a lot of work is needed to account for changes to the Firefox backend, which is apparently rapidly changing from one version to the next as Firefox rip out features, change/implement new APIs, etc., out of the control of SeaMonkey developers.

With a small'ish workforce of Volunteers, I would think this model might make best use of the limited resources! *IMHO* of course. ;-)

The trouble is, you'd be stuck with critical security vulnerabilities in SeaMonkey 2.53 until 2.57 is ready. And those would be known issues, possibly being actively exploited, with fixes in Firefox but which the latest SeaMonkey would still be vulnerable to.

I really wish I had enough time to meaningfully help, but with the little time I'd be able to commit I'd probably be more of a drain on the existing team than a help.

But what would I know?? ;-P Not much!

--
Mark.