On 07/07/2020 12:45 PM, meagain wrote:
-------- Original Message --------
On 07/07/2020 09:48 AM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
On 07/07/2020 08:40 AM, Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm using SeaMonkey 2.49.4
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.4
Build identifier: 20180711182954

My email provider is going thru his annual "Update Your Password" campaign. I've successfully changed the password on his end.

I can not remember how to reset SeaMonkey's copy of the password.
I can go to
   Edit > Preferences > Privacy & Security > Passwords > Password Manager
and display the existing password.

How do I change it? ???????????? ;{
I know I did it last year but can't remember how.
Please help a septuagenarian who is aging ;}
TIA

I think the way to go is to try and retrieve your emails using the old password.
It will fail, and ask you for the new password.
I think it should then ask you if you want to replace the old with the new (in Seamonkey).

You can't do it directly in the Password Manager.

That is what I expected to happen.
It *DID NOT*
When I select the account name and then click "Get Msgs" the response is:
Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server ****** responded:
Invalid format for plain response.

Since the last time I used the account [less than 1 hour earlier today], *nothing* has changed on my end.

My connection sees the other end as a Pop Server using Port 110.
and the password being sent insecurely.

110?  Did your Mail provider tell you that the value had changed?
Mine are all Connection Security = SSL/TLS  which maps to Port 995.

I've been on Port 110 for years (decades even ;)
I had updated password on one account and at next login got the reported error message. Immediately before telephoning my provider, I had checked email on a secondary account with no problem. While speaking to the tech about the 1st account, I had her reset the password on the secondary account. After I hung up, the secondary account gives the identical error message.

There must be a method to change SeaMonkey's copy of the password.
I *DID DO* it LAST year. Just don't remember how.

Pop3 on port 110 is the older of the two popular protocols used to retrieve eMail from remote mail servers. (The newer protocol, imap, the Internet message access protocol, uses port 143.)

Many ISP are changing to imap.

When I contacted them by phone I mentioned that I was served by their POP server. They are a local company and I've been a customer for three decades since they were a storefront in a strip mall.

In any case I need to know how to locally change the password it sends to the server.