Richard Owlett wrote:

I was thinking along those lines. I'm setting up another physical machine for doing a test install of SeaMonkey after asking my provider for their preferences.

That's a lot of effort. Unless you have reason to believe system corruption, you can get the same effect by using the Profile Manager to set up a new profile.

Getting a list of preferences from the provider isn't a bad thing, especially if there's any possibility that they've made changes. One easy place to trip up can be the methodology of user ID on the server side. It's common that mail servers use email address as the user ID, but it's not universal, and if the server uses a different ID, that can be harder to figure out.

The one twist that I've found is that some providers are doing more things with 2-factor authentication. I found that with my provider, when I set up a mail client on my phone, and I couldn't authenticate. It turns out that there is a different password that is used for POP/IMAP/SMTP than the normal password.

In that setup, I can use my normal password if I'm accessing via a web client, but if I've configured a new account in an offline client, I have to use the alternate password. The thing that confused me is that it looks like my account has been grandfathered, where I have not have to reconfigure any existing connections. Among other things, I do have my POP and IMAP settings (but not SMTP) set not to save passwords, where I have to enter the password once per session (to ensure frequent-enough usage that I don't forget a fairly long password), and I use the password that I know. The alternate password is randomly-generated, and I have no idea of what that is. Additionally, when I changed the user-facing password, that's still the password that I enter when prompted, and it's still the password that I use for SMTP.

From further discussion up-thread, I do see mention of use of ports 110 or 995 for POP. Even if you've used 110 forever, SSL connections are getting to be very common, and it's not impossible that your provider is requiring use of SSL and port 995. If that's the case, then for port 995, you generally want to set Connection Security to use SSL/TLS and Authentication method to "Normal Password". The same applies for outbound mail on port 465 or 587 (depending on which the provider uses). Although there's other methods for encrypting credentials exchange, if you have SSL active, the connection is encrypted, and there's no need to encrypt transmission of the password -- and any setting other than "normal" will cause the server to not see a valid password.

Smith