Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
Ken Rudolph wrote:
After all these years (since Netscape 1.0) I've basically given up on the SeaMonkey browser, replacing it with Firefox. However, out of habit and utility, I still use SeaMonkey 2.49.1 for e-mail and Composer for updating my web site (I have separate links to open only those portions of the suite). This means when I click on an e-mail link it opens the SeaMonkey browser in a separate window...which is OK by me usually. More often I just ^C the link and then paste it in Firefox.

This is working fine for me. I've always been scared in the past when I had to manually do a SeaMonkey version update. It always did work; but I had nervous moments fearful that I'd lose my profile etc. Obviously I haven't updated SeaMonkey for a while now. I see the current version is 2.53.3. So here's my question. In my situation, should I do the SeaMonkey update just for the e-mail and composer parts? Would there be some major advantage to doing the update? Everything that I need to do with the SeaMonkey portions other than the browser itself is working fine. Do I need to do the update to the entire suite for some reason?

Thank you for Mozilla, however I use it!!

You can't update "just the e-mail and composer parts", it is one program. I have absolutely no idea which Thunderbird fixes have gone in since 2.49.1, very little has happened with composer. Lightning is now included, it was not back then. If you do upgrade - and I see no reason not to - there are a couple of things you need to worry about: - Starting 2.49.5, Seamonkey comes in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If you are going to move to a 64-bit version, UNINSTALL THE OLD VERSION > BEFORE INSTALLING THE NEW ONE. This is because installing a 64-bit version will not remove a 32-bit version, something which can have fatal side-effects.

I'm not sure if I have the 32 or 64 bit version of SeaMonkey. I do see this in "about":

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0 SeaMonkey/2.49.1

Does that x64 mean 64 bit version even if it is SM 2.49.1?

I've never worried about that in previous updates to SM. But now you have me thinking that I better know whether to uninstall my current version (something that worries me) or not if it is the 32-bit version.

Thank you for the advice!

--
Ken Rudolph