Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
Don Spam's Reckless Son wrote:
Paul in Houston, TX wrote:
Ray_Net wrote:
WaltS48 wrote on 21-02-21 21:38:
On 2/21/21 1:12 PM, CC D wrote:
How do I block email addresses from unwanted spam. When I get these emails I hit the spam button but they keep coming back.

Are they from the same address?

I would create a filter and move them to Trash.

Also check the Junk filter settings.

--

I have two spam-mail at 6h30 and 23h30 each day.
All mails are totally different ..... the only partially fixed part is that line:

The names of the news servers are always didderrent and thei domain is NOT part of the ip adress.

The ip-adresses are always different, but still of the same domain which is: iahoster.com

How can I create a filter to catch the range ip-adresses -->
% Information related to '81.29.0.0 - 81.29.15.255' ?

If you are on windows you can add iahoster.com to your hosts file and redirect the domain name to 127.

I may well be wrong on this, but I don't think adding something to the hosts file (which exists for Linux and probably MacOS as well) is going to fix anything.  The effect of that is to stop *you* speaking to *them* by name, why should that affect incoming mails?

I don't know if that will work with emails or not.  Have never tried it so may be totally wrong.  For web stuff it sends anything from the offending domain to 127.0.0.1, effectively null space, so I never see it.

It works on communication initiated by your device. If you browse the web-page https://www.generic-news-site.com/23/02/2021/current.html and that non-existent page contains links to www.facebook.com and googleadservices.com, "hosts" entries for those two sites will redirect your browser to your own machine while trying to follow those links. This might mean you can't display the page, "waiting . . . ".

With an email client, you open a conversation to smtp.emailprovider.com (yeah) to retrieve the mails. There is no direct communication between your machine and the server where the spam originates so fiddling "hosts" will not work. Having a "hosts" entry for smtp.emailprovider.com would be very effective, you would no longer be able to retrieve any mails at all. That pesky false-positive problem! One final comment to "hosts" under Windows, the virus-scanner I used to use routinely deleted lines from that file. I suppose the reasoning was that a trojan could manipulate that file as an attack vector.

--
spammo ergo sum, viruses courtesy of https://www.nsa.gov/malware/