Hi,

I did a clean install of freenet 5.0.4 (linux) and fproxy wasn't working, so I
 dug the maillist and found:

"[freenet-support] Can't access http://127.0.0.1:8888";
 (http://hawk.freenetproject.org/pipermail/support/2002-October/000637.html)
quoting from that:

>One reason you may be having trouble getting the gateway screen to come up is
>that there have been changes in the configuration file - see Greg Wooledge's
>message of 2002-09-24, "Configuration file changes".
>
>Stephen
>
>On Tuesday 01 Oct 2002 13:24, tom wrote:
>> > are you saying that downgrading JVMs made fproxy display the gateway
>> > screen again?  I find that very hard to believe.
>> I said so. You can try debugging freenet.jar on your own, if you don't
>> believe, maybe you will find the clue. I didn't.

inserting the following into my freenet.conf from the referenced post
 (http://hawk.freenetproject.org/pipermail/support/2002-September/000609.html) solved
the
 problem.

>mainport.port=8888
>mainport.bindAddress=*
>mainport.allowedHosts=localhost,zapp.void,guestmill.void,zero.void

The thing to note here is that the initial config-file (generated through first
 start of "start-freenet.sh") wont work.

You're making it really hard here for new users (imagine being not that
 familiar with the concept in the first place, and then such a misconfig), especially
 the linux-savvy that will likely donate permanent wide bandwidth and large
 store. (I'm silently assuming the win-install doesn't have this problem).

This might have slipped the responsible persons attention cause he was probably
 using his old configfile.

other than that: keep up the great work to make the world a safer place,
thanks,
nick