Freenet never said that anything was failing.  I just got back and the disk
was full; there was a truncated core file.  I deleted the corefile and tried
to restart and it wouldn't.

I have since just gone ahead and completely removed all freenet traces from my
node, and resinstalled it from scratch and now everything is working again,
though of course I wiped out all the store and everything so it'll take a
while before I have a very functional node again.