> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 05:28:10PM +0000, Toad wrote:
> > Is your dialup connection unmetered? If so, you may be able to run a
> > permanent node. Even if you can't, I suggest you run Frost (with a
> > smallish number of threads perhaps), it is good at generating traffic,
> > to help the node learn about the network. In a few days, the node may
> > learn enough to get around the network.

Since I switched to the unstable from the latest stable at least my
conenction failures/to connection successes stays within the same number
of digits.  On the XP machine it was like 2000 failed/60 successful and I
got RNF's like all the time.  I just plopped the unstable JAR onto my
freeBSD install (it's even a slower processor than my parents' XP athlon)
and the connection failures runs closer to 50% rather than 90%.

1. Both systems knew the router WAN IP
2. both systems were 'virtual apped' from the router
3. both systems used the assign virtual app machine
4. both system were properly directed those ports via the router

My XP FRED had an interesting problem too
http://localhost:8888 worked but http://127.x.y.z:8888 didn't
This meant I had to manually open the gateway because the open gateway
option on the system try bunny would alwyas try to go to 127.0.0.1