I don't remember the config script pausing like that.  Do you have an older
version of the ebuild in the portage directory?  Maybe you can run that
script to generate freenet.conf.  There must be something wrong with your
config file.

I never use the ebuild to edit my freenet.conf anyway, I just do it by hand
because the ebuild doesn't configure everything.

Before Fred starts up completely, if I try to use konqueror to access fproxy,
i get that exact same error, so that probably means that Fproxy isn't
starting.  It usually takes about a minute for fproxy to start for me (1.1ghz
athlon).

are you getting lots of tcp connections? run netstat, you should see dozens of
connections after a few minutes.

Sorry, I can't help you more.