On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 12:07:49PM +1200, Phillip Hutchings wrote:
> >>No, they haven't. Please try running a web server behind a NAT that
> >>you
> >>can't forward ports on. Or ssh. Or any number of other client/server
> >>protocols.
> >
> >I was thinking of P2P file transfer protocols. Bittorrent, gnutella,
> >fasttrack, etc. Uploading doesn't always work really great, but
> >downloading is quite decent. Bittorrent seems to have zero problems
> >saturating upstream bandwidth on many torrents that are 100% behind
> >NAT. I classified (mentally) freenet as a P2P, but it's more like a
> >server-to-server for best performance.
>
> You always get far more responses if you're forwarding the ports. Quite
> simply there is no way for two firewalled users to communicate without
> at least one forwarding ports. All those P2P programs do is restrict
> you to connecting to users who're not hiding behind a NAT device, and
> if they want to download a file from you they send a message via the
> network to open a connection to them.

Indeed. Which is what we could eventually do. You can connect directly
to users not behind NAT, and others can connect to you by sending a
message to one of your peers asking for you to open a connection to
them.

There is also some possibility of getting routers to port forward using
UPnP (there is a java implementation), or of using UDP (which is
automatically forwarded by a lot of NATs).