On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:51:20 -0400, Jay Oliveri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

1) Fred takes too much CPU and RAM because it's written in Java.

I hate this depate.

It's true that object orienting uses up (a few) more bytes than non-OO programming, but that's trivial compared to the structuring you (can) get with OO vs non-OO.

JIT Java (which we're all running) is also very speedy, there's only a few rare instances where it's worth the trouble to replace code with something natively instead.

On the other hand, it's quite easy to lose control with object creation, and to forget how to help the GC do the work most efficiently. That has nothing to do with Java in itself though.

/me - professional Software Engineer, well trained in C, C++ and Java (although mostly J2ME)

--
http://troed.se - controversial views or common sense?