On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 10:19:55PM -0500, David Masover wrote:

> Toad wrote:
>
> | java -cp freenet.jar freenet.Version on a command line?
>
> Freenet: Fred 0.5 (protocol STABLE-1.50) build 5084 (last good build: 5083)
>
> | Show me it.
>
> Same as what you've been seeing in the logs, pretty much.  Since it dies
> now same as ever.
>
> Again, those urls are
> http://slaphack.com/freenet.conf
> http://slaphack.com/freenet.log
>
> | Thanks. That log appears to start from well into execution. Ah, no, it's
> | because of logLevel=error.
>
> Oops. logLevel=Normal, for now.
>
> | java -version
>
> java version "1.4.1"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.4.1-01)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.4.1-01, mixed mode)

> |>Are not allowed to.  They seem to be able to, if the user clicks "yes"
> |>on a "do you trust these people?" dialog box.
> |

> | Are they? Hmm. If you can prove that that would be really interesting.
>
> Googling for "Java IRC Client"...
>
> http://www.jpilot.com/products/jirc/demo1.html
>
> You're allowed to connect out to anywhere, if the user grants you
> permission.  Or is it just me?  Does this work with the bastardized
> Microsoft VM?

Hrrm. Well I don't have a JVM on Mozilla, so I can't check...

> | However I don't see Freenet running well as a Java applet, because it
> | won't run for long enough...
>
> Freenet clients should be able to find nearby nodes fairly quickly.  I
> mean, check which hosts on the local network have a Freenet port open,
> traceroute to figure out if we're on NAT and try to find nodes near the
> gateway, etc etc.

No, if you can do that, then you can portscan for Freenet nodes. That's
a REALLY bad idea. You need to use some sort of seednodes mechanism.

> Obviously clients should be able to override that, but I think that fast
> node connection is feasable, if "The Network (TM)" was fast enough.

Maybe so. But we want them to be USEFUL to the network. That won't
happen if they're only up for 5 minutes.