I think Salah is correct (provided you're running Gentoo).  freenet.conf
does *not* contain any information that's passed to the JVM.  That
information (according to your start-freenet.sh file) is set to the
variable $JAVA_ARGS.

You might find $JAVA_ARGS defined in /etc/conf.d/freenet; look for -Xmx.

--
Jay Oliveri
GnuPG ID: 0x5AA5DD54