Quoting Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I've read that there should be a parameter that limits java's mem usage in
> /usr/bin/start-freenet.sh. Mine seems to lack that parameter.  here is a copy
> of my start-freenet.sh:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # This script is a companion script to the Gentoo freenet init script.
> # Logs freenet's stdout and stderr for debugging needs.
> #
> # Author: Brandon Low <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> #
> ${JAVA} ${JAVA_ARGS} freenet.node.Main -p /etc/freenet.conf \
>         > /var/freenet/freenet.stdout.log 2> /var/freenet/freenet.stderr.log
> &
> echo $!

Steve: This is interesting.  If you don't submit a bug report to
bugs.gentoo.org, I will.  This script, /usr/bin/start-freenet.sh is essentially
another method of running Freenet on Gentoo, the other being
'/etc/init.d/freenet start'.  The init script correctly sets JVM memory usage,
but the above doesn't, of course.  The init script properly sets memory usage
by looking in /etc/conf.d/freenet.  In /etc/conf.d/freenet, the environment
variable called "$JAVA_OPTIONS" is set to "-Xmx256M", by default.

There are two ways you could fix this.  1) is to change the above script to
somehow have the "-Xmx256M" option passed to ${JAVA}, along with what's already
there.  Either add it directly or set $JAVA_OPTIONS and add that.  2) is to run
Freenet from the initscript, which requires being root.

Number 2, of course, is much better than number 1.  For one thing, your number 1
will get overwritten in the future.

Let me/us know if you still have problems.

-todd