On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 01:27:55AM +0100, Newsbyte wrote:
> "Newsbyte: Go back to i2p if you like it that much, or try to give some
> real critics instead of just posting polemic and sarcasmic whine messages."
>
> That is a stupid remark, and you know it. For someone (no pun intended) that
> says I should say valuable things, you don't set the good example.
>
> I've made the comparison between I2P and freenet, and they both have value,
> as I said in the past. I agree that the level of whining has increased, but
> that's mostly due to the fact that being diplomatic  and giving alternatives
> doesn't actually do one iota neither, while after 4 years (yes, I've been
> follow the lists for so long) Freenet today isn't much better (in the
> endusers sense) then it was in the 0.4 days.

That is simply not true, and you know it. Remember the DataStoreBug?
Freenet has never worked _really_ well, of course, which is why we need
to continue to develop it, but the DSB dominated network performance for
around a year. The network was still usable, but it was pretty bad, and
we lost a lot of users due to it.

> The truth is, I *do* annoy people, and I'm well aware of that, but mostly

I concur! You do annoy people, and I'm aware of that too!

> it's because they know it *is* true and I do have a point. Hah, freenet
> working fast? Well, indeed, if you have  T1 line or something like the other
> poster said.  But normal users often have a different impression, and even

No, the other poster talked about it working okay on DSL. It works okay
for me on cable too, although I _am_ a seednodes source, which may have
some influence on my position in the network.

> when noobs come tell it on the maillist themselves, it is still being
> refuted by some coders. I've been inserting my flog not long ago, it took me
> one hour...do you think I invent this?

I have no idea why you got so many RNFs. These may be because of the
node being new? You did not tell us how many connections you had at the
time, despite being asked. But the timeouts were likely caused by FIW
being impatient. And we have a lot of feedback saying that inserts DO
work better. CofE hasn't updated his site, but he does say on TFE that
it is "working out well for me".

> And as for never bringing any alternatives...yeah, right. I remember clearly
> I made a whole list of suggestions and alternatives for improving the
> end-user experience. Seems that memory is very selective. Why, only a few
> days ago, I pointed to an error in the uninstaller. But hey, feel free to
> ignore all that, and say I whine (not without reason in any case) about the
> fact that freenet still sucks for the most part, mostly because of bad

You do whine. Sometimes you also make constructive suggestions.
Sometimes you make suggestions that you see as constructive that are in
fact simply trolling, such as the idea that we abandon most of the
codebase in favour of I2P, made worse by the fact that jrand0m has told
me that i2p is not ready for freenet's scale yet (during a discussion on
premix routing), a point I have made to you on at least one occasion.

> directions that have been taken. Didn't I suggest to go for UDP and small
> chunks, and leave the NGR (that, after all this time, still hasn't actually

Everyone suggested small chunks. I don't think you were the first person
to suggest it.

> proved it worked) if the simulations don't clearly show a benefit? Yes, I
> did. But that, I suppose, is rapidly forgotten, even it's exactly the
> alternatives that you claim I never gave. It's easier to say I 'just whine',
> so you can regard me as a troll, instead of contemplating if I don't have
> valid points.
>
> In neither case it validates deleting my account, so that I now would have
> to change all references and links to it into new ones, if people want to
> contact me via the site or the wiki I run. Oh, yes, but that's all not a
> 'valid contribution', that's right.

You cannot have an @freenetproject.org account because you cannot be
trusted not to use it for canvassing for funding FOR OTHER PROJECTS.
Specifically I2P.