c...@4~2ftxtbe2so8nzzizneyrn5soaffk-hqsvjbhlc77a,97XjJekfSl8HxkJFYhj4cdo9n7s

d...@97xjjekfsl8hxkjfyhj4cdo9n7s0exhe-ewmr8zuvxm,4~2FTXtBE2So8NZZIzneYrn5SOa

>FFk-hQsvjBHLc77A,ughDyCjP0jeBuRRx33nULUb4Pl-6Dk9DrDrH1miXCj0,VIOAKDzD~YIzrD5
> >NBbD3v5SxOiwYXg84qQYdbkJA3bo,AAIC--8/chaosradio_142.mp3
> >
> > GORY DETAILS:
> >
> > Currently we use:
> >
> > (Filenames afterwards are manifests, and therefore impact on the CHK)
> >
> > The new key type would be:

> > 3>,<extra>/<ignore filename>
> >
> > (A filename is mandatory, and is always ignored, so does not impact on the
> > rest of the key).
> >
> > We might allow any number of routing keys from 2 upwards, for more
> > redundancy at the cost of a longer URI, but IMHO 3 is a good default
> > number.
> >
> > You would get such a key when you insert a file as d...@.
> >
> > Arguably nobody ever types CHKs even now, and copy and paste allows for
> > fairly long keys. Thoughts?
>
> I doubt copy-pasted keys that are long would pose a problem in most
> situations. But I can think of a couple of considerations:
>
> 1. It seems that when keys are posted on FMS (not so much frost), they often
> get chopped off at 80 characters, leaving the user to remove the newlines by
> hand. If the keys get long enough that 2 lines isn't always enough, then it
> might become hasslesome to undo the linebreaking (even if the linebreaking
is
> due to misuse of the news client). Maybe the freenet web interface should
> notice extra newlines and remove them automatically?

Hmmm, because of NNTP. We might be able to do this...

> 2. How much bandwidth do keys take? Do they get sent with every packet? (I
> don't know much about Freenet internals yet, sorry!). If lots of users offer
> very little bandwidth each, would the extra key size mean potentially
slowing
> things down?

No, this would just be the top level, the keys you quote on FMS or client on
links. It would not affect lower levels.