On Sunday 04 July 2010 13:37:06 Jep wrote:

> >> It's a winz utility called 'Process Lasso', an extended task manager,
> >> not something aimed at particularly java. Another one I've used in
> >> the past is freeware; 'Process Tamer'. Both help to keep my box at
> >> least useable to some extent while java is claiming the whole machine.
> >> Both allow for setting priority of apps. PL has added functions like
> >> average CPU consumption of a process over time. Of java that's 43%,
> >> so very near to the 50% max (1 core of 2).
> >> It is not a memory issue it seems. Java takes 103,500 K now.
> >> At this moment there's yet another FN version out and update didn't
> >> do its job again so Freenet is disconnected & it's back to
> >> re-installing once more.
> >
> > There should be other profiling apps that actually debug the program's
> > (freenet's) internal functions -- to see whether the cpu is doing
> > garbage collection work, or other dumb things :).
>
> Thanks for your response, Dennis.
>
> I doubt I can do much with debugging, I am not a programmer. What would
> be a tool to search for?
> Am already using JavaRa for cleaning up old versions of Java.
>
> Any other tips on what I can do to get a functioning node that does
> update and doesn't try to take over my machine?
>
> The new 1258 forced me to wipe the entire FN install once more,
> including the whole data folder this time, in order to get FN to connect
> to strangers. Even just keeping freenet.ini was enough to let FN sitting
> there connecting to 0.
> What I find strange is that I seem to have a unique problem, I see no
> one else with something similar. And there is nothing unusual with my
> hardware router or the xp on the other computer I tried FN on.

That's about the size of it yeah. Auto-update should work fine, even if it's
connecting to 0 peers give it a few hours and UOM will pull the new version. If
it doesn't, that's a bug, and we need to know about it.

Persistent downloads have nothing whatever to do with whether it connects or
not.

As regards CPU usage, Freenet automatically runs itself at "BELOW_NORMAL", so
it should not affect system performance noticeably even when it is using 100%
of BOTH cores. Windows will only run it when nothing else wants to run. IMHO it
is more common to have problems resulting from heavy disk I/O, especially when
filesharing.

The above seems to imply you have a *total* of 512MB of RAM for the entire
computer. If this is true, it may explain your problems. Is your laptop
swapping a lot? XP and Firefox barely fit in 512M, XP and Firefox and Freenet
will really struggle...