> Freenet will route through that node (any request that is not
> found in the "local darknet", and vice versa, "outside" opennet searches
> will hopefully penetrate into that dark corner.)
If by ignorance or unintentionally a member joins another darknet or opennet
then the rest of the members, without their knowledge, would have lost their
isolation.
I have to believe that this situation would be disappointing to some of the
members.
But it also makes sense.  Freenet is not in the business of enforcing darknets.
 Like the Internet, it is only interested in forwarding packets.
Unlike the Internet, it attempts to protect the identity of the nodes.  But we
also know that with enough time this feature can be compromised as documented
for opennet.

> The "small world" concept is only an assumption of the
> topology of a darknet which should in theory result in better routing
> than a "drunk man's walk".
>  (Since it is assumed that more closely
> related peers will also tend to have similar interests.)

This comment is a big help.  The assumption is that people with equal interests
by nature form the small worlds.
The routing is taking advantage of this insight.

> However, it is
> up to you to actually structure it this way. You are perfectly free to
> screw that assumption up by blindly adding strangers as your darknet
> peers. (Opennet, at least, is able to "evolve" over time to a more
> small-world topology -- not so with "static" darknets.)

Let me see if I understood this correctly.
In darknets, members have the added benefit that routing will be more efficient
if and only if they really share the same interests (as per your comment above).
In opennet, the same situation would evolve over time (steady state).
The idea of blindly adding members to a darknet is not what I was thinking (but
I follow your logic, it would screw up the assumptions on which routing is
based).
I am thinking more along the lines of membership interests.  I want to be in
the yoga darknet group but also in the tennis darknet group.  But if I join
both, I have now bridged these two groups into a new yoga-tennis group.  If I
was to carry this operation of members joining other darknet groups, eventually
I end up with one single group, what we have today, opennet.

What are the advantages of a darknet?  I take it faster routing (the number I
heard is up to 20 members).  It is a predefined same-interest group (as long as
no random members are added).  I thought version 0.7 was supposed to fix the
problem of anonymity for nodes by creating darknets with the understanding that
within a darknet anonymity is not necessary since in theory all the members
know each other anyway.