>> I was referring to Freenet's custom congestion control. There is no
>> resending of UDP packets, unless Freenet pro-actively resends it.
>
> Right, and what we do is we resend packets if they are not acknowledged after
> a few round trips. Which is pretty much what TCP does.

I'm not entirely sure how Freenet does it, but it doesn't sound quite the same
as TCP.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert on TCP

In TCP congestion control is handled by the window size, the exponential
backoff algorithm and estimated round-trip time.

The window size controls how many bytes can by 'in-flight', that is sent
without an ACK received. This is advertised by the receiver as part of the
handshake.

If an ACK isn't received after a given delay the packet is resent and the
window is decreased, say by a power of two. When the ACKs are received in a
timely fashion the window size is increased linearly. This stabilises the
transmission rate fairly well.

TCP is more complex than this brief summary, as it also implements a slow-start
algorithm and makes an effort to avoid hitting backoff by the linear increase.