On Wednesday 26 January 2011 20:14:52 Dennis Nezic wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 19:59:43 +0000, Matthew Toseland wrote:

> > > So, umm, make them stop, after say a minute of flooding?
> > >
> > And disconnect completely? That kind of defeats the point doesn't it?
>
> No, that doesn't defeat the point. The point is to have a running
> Freenet, which is simply not possible at the moment, since it will
> flood my internet connection to an unusable state.

A running Freenet that disconnects from all your peers and constantly announces
because your connection is broken? How is that useful?

> Moreover, what's the problem with "completely disconnecting" from a
> peer, after it continues to flood us for many minutes?

You are flooding it, not the other way around. It's entirely your fault for not
having the bandwidth to handle the data. Freenet is tested and developed on
typical connections which have lots of downstream bandwidth and not much
upstream bandwidth. And Freenet is only doing exactly what TCP would do!
Admittedly TCP has a different algorithm for estimating round trip times, and a
more precise congestion control mechanism. But I have yet to be convinced that
this is a serious issue for any other person than you and therefore worth
spending significant amounts of developer time on. I'm also not sure exactly
what would fix it...