On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:12:24 -0600, Yfrwlf wrote:
> On 01/20/2012 10:05 AM, Evan Daniel wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Yfrwlf<yfr...@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> On 01/20/2012 07:05 AM, Dennis Nezic wrote:
> >>
> >> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:10:39 +1300, Austin wrote:
> >>
> >> Originally tried the JavaWebStart installer, and had problems with
> >> disk space. Moved /usr/local to a bigger partition, then downloaded
> >> the offline installer:
> >> http://freenet.googlecode.com/files/new_installer_offline_1405.jar
> >> as per the web site instructions; also the sig file
> >> new_installer_offline_1405.jar.sig which I verified with gpg.
> >> Then ran
> >>    java -jar new_installer_offline.jar
> >> All went OK until Processing step 2/15, "Setting the Updater up",
> >> which reported "Process execution failed" and asked "Continue
> >> Anyway?". I continued, but every step after that failed.
> >> Cleared out the target directory and tried again, same result.
> >> Can't find any installation log, is there one somewhere?
> >> Grateful for any suggestions as to what to try next.
> >> System is Debian Linux 2.6, amd64 (Intel i7 870), 8GB RAM.
> >> Java OpenJDK 1.6.0_18
> >>
> >> (Side note: Why isn't there a debian package for freenet yet?)
> >>

> >> Well with the only dependency being Java I could understand why
> >> there are no packages.  If there needed to be though it should be
> >> Zero Install so that it's cross-distro and cross-platform.
> > Using Zero Install won't make it so I can "apt-get install freenet".
> > That needs a Debian package, hosted on the Debian repositories. The
> > request is for a Debian package on Debian repos, not to make it
> > easier to install Freenet on Debian.
> >
> > Evan
>
> Okay.  Developers would love to not have to spend the time making a
> package for every distro and distro verison though, and running
> "0launch <program's url>" to download and run a program from the
> command line is an option, though not as simple, but hopefully after
> it gets a software store for ZI collections that will become an
> option as well.

The whole point of community distros is precisely to help program
developers in this regard. Gentoo users, for example, maintain a
freenet package completely on their own. It seems like you're trying to
wish away the whole concept of distros. (Actually, trying to impose
your own preferred yet-another-package-manager :p.)