On Friday 20 Jan 2012 16:05:44 Evan Daniel wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Yfrwlf <yfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 01/20/2012 07:05 AM, Dennis Nezic wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 22:10:39 +1300, Austin wrote:
> >
> > Originally tried the JavaWebStart installer, and had problems with
> > disk space. Moved /usr/local to a bigger partition, then downloaded
> > the offline installer:
> > http://freenet.googlecode.com/files/new_installer_offline_1405.jar as
> > per the web site instructions; also the sig file
> > new_installer_offline_1405.jar.sig which I verified with gpg.
> > Then ran
> >     java -jar new_installer_offline.jar
> > All went OK until Processing step 2/15, "Setting the Updater up",
> > which reported "Process execution failed" and asked "Continue
> > Anyway?". I continued, but every step after that failed.
> > Cleared out the target directory and tried again, same result.
> > Can't find any installation log, is there one somewhere?
> > Grateful for any suggestions as to what to try next.
> > System is Debian Linux 2.6, amd64 (Intel i7 870), 8GB RAM.
> > Java OpenJDK 1.6.0_18
> >
> > (Side note: Why isn't there a debian package for freenet yet?)
> >

> > Well with the only dependency being Java I could understand why there are no
> > packages.  If there needed to be though it should be Zero Install so that
> > it's cross-distro and cross-platform.
>
> Using Zero Install won't make it so I can "apt-get install freenet".
> That needs a Debian package, hosted on the Debian repositories. The
> request is for a Debian package on Debian repos, not to make it easier
> to install Freenet on Debian.

The thing that everyone has missed is this:

There are no debian packages in the debian repositories for Freenet because
Debian freezes software for *YEARS*. Freenet is not yet at the point where a
version from 2 years ago, with critical security bugfixes only, is still going
to be usable. That will not happen for some time.

This isn't a problem with Gentoo. Possibly we could be in debian-volatile
eventually.

However, an official-to-Freenet, but separate-from-debian-repo's debian package
is planned, and in fact we have one - although there isn't a repository yet.
Ximin is working on this, hence recent discussions of config files.