Hi -

I've only been using Freenet for a while, and initially everything was okay,
but recently I have been experiencing a problem that I can't find any
reference to online.

I run a Windows XP system with all relevant security updates - in fact the
updates are in some way connected with the problem I'm having. When the
system is automatically closed and restarted after a Windows update, Freenet
"disappears". After the reboot, my Freenet desktop icon has gone, and the
Freenet launcher application and the Freenet application (freenet.exe file)
itself are no longer in the folder with the other Freenet files. Each time
there's a Windows update and an automatic restart of the system, I have to
uninstall what's left of Freenet and re-install from scratch. This started
with Freenet 14.07 and has continued with Freenet 14.10.

Under normal circumstances, I leave my PC running 24/7, so the only time it
restarts is after a Windows update - I haven't tried invoking a system
restart myself to see what happens, but I can't see why that would be any
different to an automatic restart.

As a Freenet beginner, I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong,
or something obvious I'm missing. I've never had any other application
"disappear" after an automatic system restart, and I've been using PC's for
almost 20 years now, so I'm rather puzzled. Obviously I can carry on as I
am, reinstalling Freenet whenever I need to, but If anyone has had any
experience of similar problems, or can offer any help or advice I would be
very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Alan.