On Friday 28 Sep 2012 21:54:45 Pascal wrote:
> With the 1st stage of the rebuild taking 3 weeks, and 1416 becoming
> mandatory in 2 weeks, if I had just waited my node would be unusable for
> a week.  I noticed an option to do the resize at startup instead that
> was supposed to be faster, so I set that and upgraded.  I let it run for
> a bit and then did the math, it was still going to take 3 weeks.  CPU
> and HDD were both practically idle.  I don't know what a resize does,
> but it sure seems like there is a bug in there somewhere.

It sleeps 100ms after processing a batch of 128 blocks, to try to avoid severe
performance effects on the rest of the system. Resize on startup turns this
off, so *should* be slightly faster. I have no idea why it was so slow for you
but I imagine it has to do with hard disk seeks being slow - the number of
bytes transferred could well be relatively low even though the hard disk is
seeking constantly.