thanks for the advice.

> Just to clarify, your node works fine, until you try using the
> KeepAlive plugin?

Yes.

> What did you set maxmemory to?

I set it to 512MiB.

> Somewhere in freenet's Stats pages is a table of the running threads.
> Perhaps you can look for clues there, or post that table here?

I took two thread dumps,
one during high CPU load on start-up, the other in normal low load after that.
    wrapper.log: http://pastebin.com/iQ45jaGX

I also saved thread usage from Config->status page,
    thread usage: http://pastebin.com/JG9fXLJm
which showed lots of "Pooled thread awaiting work" during the high CPU load.
  high:   Pooled thread awaiting work : 268 (84.0%)
  normal: Pooled thread awaiting work : 23 (30.3%)

regards,
s11