m0rtal frei <m0rtal.frei at ...> writes:

> Hi, fellas!
>
> I have a strange error during install process: after getting all
> necessary files from hdd/inet, FreeNet install program shows:
>
> Unable to write a file to disk. Check that the disk is not full, or
> write-protected, and that you have rights to install files. The
> installer will now exit.
>
> And, surely, it aborts setup process and exits :(
>
> I  have  almost  2GB  free  on my disk, it's not write-protected (even
> more,  I  can  see  all  non-zero  necessary  files  in  the temporary
> folder!),  and  have  all necessary rights (admin under WinXP). What's
> wrong?!

Hmm, that's very strange. I haven't seen this reported before.
This error comes from the installer .NSI script. The only things which should
cause it are if the installer can't create the installation directory, or if it
fails to copy one of the needed files (README, NodeConfig.exe,freenet-ext.jar,
freenet-latest.jar or freenet.jar, Uninstall.exe) into it.

Random ideas : check for any weird ACL's / permissions on the install dir, that
you can manually create the dir and put stuff in it, if you're trying to install
from an SMB share or suchlike do it from a local disk instead.

It's possible to kludge around this error (copy all the "temporary" files
manually to your desired install location, run NodeConfig.exe to generate a
config, run freenet from the command line) but this is less than convenient and
you would lose nice windows functionality like the system tray bunny :/

Bob