On Wednesday 06 May 2009 14:43:59 Victor Denisov wrote:
> Matthew Toseland wrote:
> > This is the downside of db4o. If it is a widespread problem, we're gonna
have
> > to revert it. Which means throwing away more than 6 months work largely
> > funded by Google's $18K.
>
> I think that using a database is a good idea (although I personally
> would've opted for a relational database such as Derby). So I'd prefer
> to try and understand and fix the issue rather than hiding from it :-).
>
> > My database queue is usually pretty empty, even with queued downloads, but
> > have 8G and fast mirrored disks...
>
> The problem's that Freenet *doesn't* even use the amount of memory I
> provide it with (I'm yet to see it use more than 120 megs out of 320 I
> allow for the heap). I'd be willing to dedicate as much memory as
> required if only it'd help.
>
> My hard drives are nothing special - 250Gb 7200 RPM Seagate ones, 16 Mb
> cache, SATA2, no NCQ - though definitely not the slowest out there. I
> see ~35 Mb/s read speed and ~28 Mb/s write speed for medium-sized files
> and ~5 Mb/s to 8 Mb/s for small files in the tests I'd done. I'll
> probably have to test the same from inside Java to make absolutely sure
> that it's not some weird JVM issue on my platform, though.
>
> > 2650 handles is strange, on unix we are generally limited to 1024 and
> > generally we don't exceed that. Both of your problems may be caused by
flaky
> > hardware, but frankly we do need to run on flaky real world hardware. :|
>
> I don't have Freenet running right now, will check it later. But I2P is
> using 2670 handles right now, and Azureus uses 1450 - so 2600 for
> Freenet is definitely nothing out of the ordinary on Windows. Oh, and
> the highest handle user on my machine is MySQL, which uses ~69000
> handles and works absolutely fine :-).
>
> >> Same here. Enormous disk queues. I've also compared i/o counts with i/o
> >> bytes read/written - that's how I know that i/o operations are small. In
> >> the statistics screen, I routinely see 100+ outstanding database jobs.
> >> It can't be good.
> >
> > This just confirms that disk I/O is the problem ... and almost certainly
> > caused by db4o as it goes away if nothing is queued.
>
> My thinking exactly. Would providing you with a snapshot of CPU/memory
> performance under YourKit Profiler (I have academic licenses for both
> 7.5 and 8.0, IIRC) or VisualVM (which is now a part of the JDK
> distributive) on my machine help? Any logging I can turn on to help?
> BTW, I have logging set to ERROR for now, as with NORMAL level it logs
> ~2Mb per minute, adding noticeably to overall disk contention.
>
> Regards,
> Victor Denisov.

One other thing, for both you and Juiceman:
How's the CPU usage? Given how much RAM you have I would expect node.db4o to
be cached in memory (how big is it?). But doing a read through the OS to the
OS disk cache may cost a lot of CPU (context switch etc) ... Is there a lot
of CPU usage for the freenet process? To the point that it might be the cause
of the poor overall system performance? And how much CPU usage is system?