harry smythe wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Please excuse what might seem like a stupid question. I'm just
> beginning to experiment with Freenet. I could not find this topic in
> the archives. I have only some limited tech knowledge.
>

> specs:
>
> * Freenet 0.7 Build #1209 rbuild01209-real
>
> * Freenet-ext Build #26 r23771
>
> # JVM Version: 1.5.0_16-132
>
> # OS Name: Mac OS X
>
> # OS Version: 10.4.11
>
> # OS Architecture: i386
>

> I install with the web installer for Mac on the freenetproject.org
> page. I choose the autostart option. A browser launches and all works
> well. No shortcut to Freenet is installed on my desktop (as was the
> case on previous explorations some years ago on a Win2000 machine.)
>

> However, if I shut down or have to restart my machine or node for any
> reason, no browser (I use Firefox 3.0.5) can access fproxy with
> 127.0.0.1:8888. That page is "unavailable".
>

> I'd rather not have to re-install and rebuild the datastore every
> time.  Is there some way to manually start/restart Freenet? (I assume
> that "start" means to connect to some nodes, but I'm not sure.)
>

> Many thanks.
>

> NewbieHarry

I never used Freenet on a Mac but I heard that behind its peculiar GUI
it's very similar to other Unix-based systems, therefore the way
start/stop/restart Freenet manually would be:

- Open a terminal (/Apps/Terminal.app or something like that IIRC)
- Navigate to the Freenet directory: type "cd /path/to/Freenet" (no
quotes) where /path/to/Freenet is the actual path to your Freenet
directory (it should default  to /Users/<your-user-name>/Freenet or
something similar). Hit Enter to execute the command.
- Type the command "./run.sh start" (no quotes) and hit Enter. That
should start Freenet.
To stop: ./run.sh stop
To restart: ./run.sh restart

Double check that the Freenet directory is owned by your user and that
the startup script (run.sh) is executable.

Command to change ownership for the directory and all its content (as
root) "chown <your-user-name> /path/to/Freenet -R" (no quotes)
Chown = change ownership. <your-user-name> is the user name that you use
to log in, /path/to/Freenet is the path to the freenet directory. (I'm
not sure but I suspect that OSX, as other Unix-based OSs, may be
case-sensitive: make sure you type stuff in the right case: the Freenet
directory has by default a capital F in the name)
-R stands for "recurse" into subdirectories.

Command to make run.sh executable (no need to run this as root, as long
as your regular users owns the Freenet directory and all its content)
"chmod +x run.sh" (no quotes)
+x  =  allow execute
-x = disallow execute

As for autostart, I don't know what scheduler OSX uses or how to
add/remove startup jobs. If you can find out with Google, you can
probably add start Freenet with "/path/to/Freenet/run.sh start" (no
quotes, as usual)

Sorry I cant give you a complete answer because I don't have a Mac at
hands and it was quite some time ago since I even saw one, hopefully
some Mac user will jump in and fill the parts that I left out.