On 8/26/05, Dimitri Rodis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Put it this way:
>
> A $60 linksys router can do this (WRT54G with stock firmware, for
> example)... Why can't these expensive ones do it?

real simple - there's a HUGE difference between doing it for systems
that only support one public IP and doing it for ones that support
limitless ones.  Big difference between something that supports all
kinds of NAT, and something that butchers the term "DMZ" in everyone's
head as port forwarding, its only real NAT support.  (I'm a Cisco fan
in general, but screw them for buying a company that's done something
so stupid)

If it were a simple, easy fix that Linksys magically came up with,
Cisco would have yanked it from its new little brother company and put
it in the PIX.  Even the latest, greatest brand spanking new PIX OS 7
doesn't support that.  It does do automatic DNS translation though, if
the DNS queries traverse the PIX, so it has its ways of eliminating
the problem for DNS names.

It's something we'll see eventually.  But in the case of a real
hosting environment, you probably shouldn't be running NAT to your
servers anyway.  Put them off a routed public IP'ed interface to solve
this.  or use your beloved Linksys.  ;)

-cmb