On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 17:25 -0500, Scott Ullrich wrote:
> If you want to push 50,000 states do you think this box is enough
> juice?  With that amount of states it seems you want to use much
> better hardware.

Well...  I'm not going to have 50.000 states  - I'm just stress testing
to see the limit.

Now I see these number of states takes just few MB of memory - I never
got  amount of memory used over 15%

CPU usage in my understanding should grow with number of packets and
rules  - states are secondary. It must be implemented as hash table with
semi-constant lookup time.

And once again - my problem is not amount of packets I can pass at this
point but the way it keeps up with high load.

Also This is better hardware which is included in Most of Firewalls.
For example SonicWall 2040 has  800Mhz  x86 CPU,  Cisco PIX -  300Mhz
Celeron.   They might have some extra hardware offloading but also
have extra features such as deep packet inspections etc.