Charles,

The Squid package was started by someone who stubbed in a lot of functionality and then promptly fell off the face of the earth. As a result, a lot of what's in the user interface including the tie-in to squidGuard isn't there. That's not to say that you couldn't install squidGuard on your pfSense box and manually configure it, but the WebGUI is incomplete at this time.
-Gary

Charles Sprickman wrote:
Hi all,

I'm running RELENG_1_SNAPSHOT_04-12-2006 and am very happy with it. Traffic shaping (one of my main concerns since I do lots of VoIP) is working great for me.

I installed the squid package (2.5.12.1) just to play with it and perhaps do some network-wide URL blocking for ads. When I go to "Services->Squid" there's a checkbox that is labelled "URL Filtering Enabled". There's also an explanation next to it:

"This enables the advanced functionality in conjunction with squidGuard to provide an array of URL filtering options. This squidGuard functionality can be additionally configured from Services -> Advanced Proxy Filtering"

I don't see any "Advanced Proxy Filtering" link under the services menu. Am I missing something, or is this feature just not here yet?

That also brings up a very general question... There's a few things that I'd like to twiddle besides the squid config, including an "illegal" dhcp setup where I hand my laptop the same IP via wired or wireless. What are the plans, if any, to allow a user to override the pfsense-generated configs?

Thanks,

Charles

___
Charles Sprickman