On Thu, 4 May 2006 18:55:13 +0100
Peter Curran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I can confirm Scott's words - I was one of the people with the problem.
>
> My results where exactly the same as you are seeing (except mine was only on
> one interface).  Carp multicasts stuff on the interface at regualr intervals
> and expects to see multicasts from the other system coming in.  It is the
> frequency of these multicasts that determines who is master, and who slave.
>
> The advskew 100 simply slows down the multicast rate of the slave.
>
> The fact that both systems are master means that they are not seeing each
> others multicasts.
>
> In my case the problem was caused by having a switch that was divided into
> different VLANs (by port).  The two systems where plugged into the same
> switch, but not into the same VLAN.  Once I had discovered this (by plugging
> them into the correct ports) the problem was fixed instanltly.
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter

In my case there is no switch between the two CARP boxes, but a Xover
cable. But I can suspect the cards, which are old 3Com ISA bus cards
(ep) because there are no more free pci bus on the board. I will try
to swap them tomorrow with one of the pci's.

Thanks
Imre

--
This is Linux Land.
In silent nights you can hear the windows machines rebooting