Hi All,

On 5/10/06, I wrote:
Again my assumption is that increasing the number of connections is
going to increase the CPU usage which will in turn decrease the max
throughput.  Is this incorrect?
Just as an update.  I tried out a WRAP box (1C-2) with my connection
(15/2 PPPoE).  Running 2 fast torrents (Centos 4.3 DVD and CD sets) I
was able to max out at around 1.6MB/s which I think is about as fast
as I can hope with my connection.  Unfortunately this only lasted for
under 5 minutes at which point the router rebooted itself.  The CPU
utilization was pegged at > 99% interrupt handling and the load was
somewhere in the 1X range.  Switching over to polling mode caused the
throughput to drop to the 500KB/s range, which I thought was kind of
odd.  This is all with Beta 4.

So it looks like the WRAP box isn't quite fast enough to be able
handle high throughputs with multiple connections (in this case it was
< 100 connections, so not a huge number).

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and grab a mini-itx setup.  I've
been doing some research and it looks like the just released C7 based
Phylon series from logicsupply.com seems to be a good deal.  Looks
like $340 for a case, motherboard and 3 port gigabit.  The
mini-box.com M200 is a bit cheaper but comes with an older, slower CPU
and doesn't have gigabit ports (though I think that Phylon board would
work on it).

--
Paul Haddad ([EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED])