Volker, I read this and started to panic a little bit.  What, I cannot restrict which hosts can use a port forward?  I started thinking, oh no, I have to look for a different firewall distribution.

Then I tried it out.  I added a port forward

Wan TCP 5900 192.168.1.199 (ext: 192.168.40.129)  5900  VNC

And I changed the wan rule from
TCP, Any source ip , Any source Port, Dest 192.168.1.199, Dest port 5900, NAT VNC
TCP,  source 192.168.40.5,  Any source Port, Dest 192.168.1.199, Dest port 5900, NAT VNC

And now only 192.168.40.5 can use that port forward.  Am I misunderstanding what you were saying?  I understand how it isn't possible to restrict based on the original destination port (if it is different,  else it doesn't matter) but I don't understand what you are saying about the source ip.

Thanks
Josh

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
I seem to be having difficulty adding a port forward :(
from WAN ->lan(192.168.1.3) port 80

The macmini can get to the outside world
is there any other debugging I can look at?

I had some trouble to, coming from Linux. The thing to keep in mind is
that the port forwarding happens before(!) the firewall rules are
applied. So, apart from wanting a port forward/NAT rule

  WAN port X -> lan(192.168.1.3) port 80

You also need to insert a firewall rule

  WAN any -> LAN port 80

In this context it is impossible to restrict access to the port
forwarding depending on e.g. source IP, because the port forwarding
applies unconditionally to everything, and with the firewall rules you
have to match against LAN port 80, and can no longer use the WAN port
the packet was originally addressed to. Lousy IMHO, but that's how it
is.

HTH,

Volker

Lake Agassiz Regional Library - Moorhead MN larl.org
Josh Stompro               | Office 218.233.3757 EXT-139
LARL Network Administrator | Mobile 701.371.3857