From: Frimmel, Ivan (ISS South Africa) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 2:01 AM
To: support@pfsense.com
Subject: RE: [pfSense Support] errors that im receiving

To add a few cents .. in my experience collisions are usually
attributable in decreasing order to:
1) Faulty ( Bent ) cable,
2) Dicky Transceiver (hit by static or lightning )
3) Chipset (Thomas Conrad especially, but others are notorious for
interframe spacing issues like older Intels )
4) Switch (again related to inframe spacing  issues , i.e. compatibility
between
NICS and Switch Chipset - again less of an issue in modern networking
kit .. but very prevelant +5 years ago. )
5) Network load.

So in other words start fault finding at the hardware layer with the
cheapest and easiest components to source for you and by a process of
elimination. i.e. try FTPing large files across each link and see what
speeds you get and how reliable the connection is.

Remember Ethernet DOES have flow control .. so if the frames coming in
are filling the buffer the receiver SHOULD tell the transmitter to slow
down .. there may be lots of DROPPED packets .. but collisions should
only occur in  large networks with hundreds of  NICS in a very busy
network all in the same domain.  (aka Hub network) .

Ivan.